Jul 12, 2012

Peanut Butter & Jelly Bars

I know Ferg will agree with me when I say that nothing. . . and I really mean NOTHING. . . tastes better than a peanut butter and jelly sandwich when eaten on the beach. Regardless of the fact that the sandwich will likely be all smushed from the weight of your beach towel and lotions, that first bite will taste fantastic. I think it has something to do with the warmth of the sun which causes all the flavors to sort of melt together, and the fact that you've got sand squidging (yes -- squidging) between your toes,  eating a peanut butter and jelly on the beach will satisfy all your senses. 


Now as delicious as peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are, they are not the most appropriate choice to bring to a social gathering when you are asked to contribute an culinary item. So I set out to find a recipe that would satisfy my pb & j needs and would also please others at the party. I found a recipe for Peanut Butter & Jelly Bars, and was pleasantly surprised with the outcome.


You have no idea the self control I practiced when resisting the urge to dip my finger into the jar every few minutes. 

The consistency of the dough formed will be almost identical to that of a regular peanut butter cookie!

Half of the dough will get smooshed into the bottom of the pan.

The layer of jelly (or jam!) is added right on top.

Bake until the top layer of dough reaches a lovely golden-brown color.

The final product! A crumbly, moist, deliciously, salty and sweet bar.

Once taken out of the oven and completely cooled, you are left with a crumbly (yet moist!) bar. The chopped peanuts on top add a crunchy, salty element which balances the sweet, fruity jelly layer in the middle. The base of the bar is so richly full of peanut flavor that it would satisfy even the most peanut butter obsessed people (a.k.a. me). When you take a bite, the combination of the different layers all meld together to create a flavor even BETTER than a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. And to be honest, before making this bar, I wasn't even sure that was possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! We love hearing your thoughts!!